The Do's & Don'ts
Do's & Don'ts Before your Spray Tan:
- DON’T get sunburned before your competition (I know a lot of competitors still like to have a base tan from the sun or sunbeds) but peeling skin will make any tan look bad.
- DO EXFOLIATE your entire body (starting five days prior to your show). Use a non-oil based scrub or exfoliating glove. Pay close attention to knees, ankles, back of heels and elbows.
- DO exfoliate really well on your stomach area if you wear a compression band around your waist.
- DO use Selsun Blue Medicated (red cap) for any skin bacteria issues prior to your spray tan (skin issues can be caused by sweating and is very common with athletes).
- DO hydrate your skin the week of the competition. Apply a moisturizer daily starting five days before your competition (Please contact us for product recommendations).
- DO wax, shave, or schedule any salon procedures at least 24 hours before your spray tan. You will not be able to shave after the tan is applied. If you are shaving use hair conditioner to help keep the skin moisturized.
- DON’T use Nair; this tends to cause a rash on the skin. Avoid using shaving creams or gels these tend to contain alcohol in them, which will dry out your skin.
- DO change out of sweat soaked sports bras before leaving the gym the week of your competition. The bras can cause the skin to not develop evenly in that area.
- DO arrive to the appointment with clean, bare skin: no lotion, deodorant, perfume, oils, make-up, etc. VERY IMPORTANT!
- DO. The shower before your appointment, use a clean exfoliating glove or a clean washcloth to lightly remove all leftover residue from the skin.
- DO scrub your armpits really well If you use a clinical strength deodorant. If you have deodorant residue still on your skin, it can cause your armpits to turn green because of the skin’s pH level when being sprayed.
- DO wear or bring loose, dark clothing and slide on sandals for after the appointment. Light cotton clothing is best! For competitors it’s best to wear a loose shirt with a wide collar and loose long pants. Avoid wearing clothing that rubs the skin, such as bras.
Do's & Don'ts After you Spray Tan:
- DON’T put products on the skin after receiving your spray tan.
- DO avoid getting wet, unless you are instructed to rinse.
- DO bring separate sheets, pillow case and towels if staying in a hotel to avoid ruining the hotels linens.
- DO wear loose clothing. Women should NOT wear bras, tight panties, leggings, socks, or restrictive clothing with straps. You want to do your best at not creating unnecessary marks or lines on the tan.
- DO your best at avoiding water droplets. When brushing your teeth, make sure your covered to prevent water marking. When washing your hands, have the water pressure on low so that you don’t splash. Water and spray tans don’t mix.
- DON’T Shave/Wax after your spray tan. All pedicures/manicures should also be done before your appointment.
- DO avoid excessive sweating.